Sunday, January 29, 2012

Revisiting Azeroth: Day One

I'm at one of those dull points that comes up sometimes in Eve. Both my main characters are working on long skills that will open things up but don't provide any immediate excitement. I don't particularly feel like mining, even with mineral prices up to the point where it's kind of worthwhile. Grinding missions is even less appealing. I've been working on my Caldari Navy standings to get a better brokerage rate at Jita, and the agent I'm using isn't all that close to home. It's only worth going there if I'm going to grind all night. Hulkageddon would add some interest (what is a 5.0 security status for, if not to indulge in some suicide ganking), but Helicity seems to have disappeared. I've actually thought about getting into RvB, but my only combat capable character is Resivan. Since he's also my main researcher and builder, changing corps would really mess up my isk production.

It's been about a year since I quit playing World of Warcraft, and I've had one of the reactivation offers Blizzard sends out periodically burning a hole in my pocket. My tower is fueled and it won't hurt for my market orders to go untended for a little while. Logging in once a day to watch for wardecs, keep my lab queues full and reset my PI extractors won't take much time. All in all, this is a good time to see what's been happening in Azeroth.

My old guild is long gone. From what I can see in the Armory, only three of the people I used to play with are still around and they're all in a progression guild. If I was going to hang around for more than a week, then looking for a new guild would be a top priority. Since I don't plan to, Dizziet can live without a guild tag.

After I stopped playing I wiped all my WoW stuff to reclaim space. I downloaded the game client and all my favorite addons before reactivating. When I logged on, the first thing I need to do is build a UI. Next up was seeing what my gear options were. My shadow priest was in decent pre-raid gear when I quit, but that was a year ago. My maxed out Justice points bought me a Tier 12 chest and gloves; a cape and bracers were available on the market. With the new gear I could have queued for any dungeon, but since all my recent combat experience has involved railguns and drones I thought it would be a good idea to refresh my memory of how to shadow priest first.

I spent the rest of the afternoon doing the pre-Zul'Gurub quest chain and the Firelands opening quests. The quests in Stranglethorn were a little tedious, especially tracking the panther, but they gave me a chance to relearn my rotation and field test the UI. I doubt that I'll bother doing the Firelands dailies, since it takes a month to open up all the vendors and I've only got a week. What I saw of their difficulty level was good. It's a target rich environment and the mobs take a bit of effort to kill, but because they default to attacking the NPCs you don't get swarmed.

That was enough for one day. Next, I plan to read up on the Zul'Gurub and Zul'Aman 5-mans and give those a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment